Friday, April 15, 2011

Making the Blue





The curds

A Piece of blue for the innoculation of the curds

The mold I used

Used a screw driver sterilized to make these holes

And MY NEW CAVE 50 degrees
Finally I got it all together and am making the Blue Cheese. Here are the pics. I decided to use a inocculation using Danish Blue Cheese. You take 1 teas or so of the uncontaminated Blue and suspend it in unchlorinated water and add it to your curds. The mold will spread and make the Blue mold. Wish me luck...We will see in 2 to 3 weeks if indeed we have Blue working. The pics show the curds then the piece of blue I used in the small blender. The holes I punched in the cheese to let air in because the mold needs air to grow. I carefully wrapped it in a linen cloth and now it rests in my NEW Cheese Cave. As you can see I now have 3 cheeses in there. Monterey Jack which is now about 4 weeks in Cheddar about 2 weeks in and now the blue.......Which should be ready in 4 to 6 weeks....

No comments:

Post a Comment