Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A curious fact about swiss cheese

I thought I would share this amazing fact I just learned when I was researching stuff about swiss cheese. Did you know that the cheese industry lobbied the lawmakers to pass a law to restrict the size of the holes in swiss cheese ? Yes it is a fact that the holes in swiss cheese in the U.S. can not be over 3/4 inch....
No need to police it, for the reason is simple. Large holes make it hard for the cheese to be commercially sliced and it takes a longer time to age the cheese. So they can age the cheese for consumtion in 3 months instead of 6-9 months.

Tomorrow is the big day. I will be trying my hand at making swiss. And can assure you that my holes will be against the law....< grin >

Check back tomorrow for the rest of the story......

No comments:

Post a Comment