Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Flipping the world of Feta




O.K. I have seen the world of feta ( many recipes ) and alot of them a joke... Ok I did my own thing and guess what ? Maybe it will be AWESOME....Look at the recipes available and u will be confused as I was... Let it drain or press it that is the question....I pressed it....Salt....be careful.......Age at room temp or fridge.....another ? room temp seems to be the key.....I added half and half like the added butterfat.....pics to follow........One of the things I have noticed is the sour smell on my hands. not sure but I think that is from the culture that I used.....or I messed up somewhere in the process..... Another thing I noticed , since I am getting used to making hard cheese is how soft the curd for the feta was, almost mushy and I for sure did not think that it would mat at all. It is amazing what a few degrees in temp lowered does to the texture, the smell and yes the taste. I tasted it after I sliced it and wow sooo good. I can amagine how it will be in a few days..we will see..I intended on making swiss today but it seems that my order was delivered to some one else...Gonna figure it out tomorrow.
This is after a night in the press at 10lbs

here it is after I sliced it. Sliced very nicely just like soft cheese < grin >

Here it is after I light salted it with kosher salt

Now in the pan cover and wait 5 or 7 days turning every day   YA !!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment