Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Cave



I failed to let you know about the choice for my cheese cave. I bought a small ge fridge, made sure to find one that has no freezer compartment ( just takes up space ) and resonably priced. (100.00) Bought a digital thermometer at walmart, one that measures temp and humidity ( 10.00 ) Put water in the crisper to up the humidity ( more water more humidity ) Took me 2 days to get the temp and humidity just right, almost textbook. 50 degrees and 75% humidity. Just remember if your gonna make bloomed cheese either wrap them or enclose them inside a plastic box or they contaminate any unwaxed cheese that you have in there. I speak from experience since my swiss turned blue when I took it out of the fridge to finish drying. I washed it several times with vinegar and salt to get it off. Now almost dry with very little blue mold on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment