Saturday, March 26, 2011

Creamier is better

Two facts seem to be the major contributors to a soft creamy Mozz. First and foremost is the amount of butterfat and second is the amount of calcium chloride. And again I must say that if you are using raw milk you will not need to use the calcium chloride. It is the pasturization and all the processing done on store bought milk that needs the calcium chloride. Even with store bought milk you may get away without using the calcium chloride but like I mentioned in my earlier post it is a hit and miss situation. Your more prone to all kinds of variables, time , temp, and the quality of the milk. Never use ultra-pasturized milk it just won't cheese up. My last Mozz I replaced 1 quart of milk with half and half and boy what a difference that made. It was much softer and when you bite into it you could feel the creamy texture of the added butterfat. Not bad I thought but my next experiment will be to cut the calcium chloride from 1/2 teas to 1/4 teas and maybe be more attentive of the quality of the curd during the 30 minute waiting period and adding more time for a firmer curd if needed. I also am thinking about replacing 1 quart of the milk with goats milk and see how that turns out, although at this time I have yet to find a supply of goats milk that is not ultr-pasturized. Now maybe since 3/4 of my milk is not ultra-pasturized it might work...Hmmmmm Going to have to do some research. Well until next time I'll let you know how things turn out, or not.....

No comments:

Post a Comment